- Strong emphasis on leadership and adapting
existing work cultures to solve challenging business and
- In-depth experience managing remote and
widely dispersed technical organizations.
- 15 years as a technical manager of large
and small software development organizations utilizing practical
applications of structured concepts.
- Technical experience based in operating
system design and development (UNIX and derivatives) with
recent focus on graphical application development in a WEB
- In-depth knowledge of networking and system/network
- Budget responsibilities in excess of $10M
- Problem Solving
- Demonstrated skill in rescuing troubled
projects and/or organizations.
- Proven track record of delivering high
quality products that are deployable and supportable.
- Fully versed in system and application
architectures (UNIX, DNA, .NET).
- Review and adjust system and product
architectures to fully meet business, quality, deployment,
support and performance objectives.
- Quality Engineering
- Quality Evangelist! Demonstrated leadership
of Quality Engineering and Quality Assurance organizations.
Strong emphasis on designing testability into a product.
- Project Management
- 15+ years of managing large and small
- 12+ years of managing Project and Technical
- Proven ability to manage to budget guidelines
and adjust for either growth or downsizing.
- 15 years managing large and small technical
organizations seeking creative solutions to problems and
- Organizational Development
- Demonstrated skill in organizational re-development,
designing and implementing organizational and process modifications
to meet current and future business needs.
- Information Technology
- Effective definition, design and deployment
of wide-area and multi-site organizations. Extensive use
of various tracking, management, development and process
- In-depth knowledge and experience deploying
cost-effective, simple and complex networks (wired/wireless)
including topology, performance, security and management
policies and practices.
ADP Dealer Services Inc., Portland,
Vice President Next Generation Development, Portland
OR 2001 – 2004
Managed a technical team of 90+ professionals
composed of Technical Managers, Software Engineers, Quality
Engineers, Technical Writers and associated Project Managers
and Administrative Staff.
Responsible for all aspects of product definition, development
and certification. Product highlighted a rich-client UI in a thin-client browser
- Inherited a troubled, multi-site development
effort. Stabilized system architecture, improved quality
assurance and development processes resulting in lower defect
densities, higher performance and greater reliability and
- Sculpted a productive team from a fractured
- Created product vision and metrics that
improved morale and reduced attrition from 15% to less than
- Reduced program expenditures from $12M to
$10.5M in first year through analyzing and making effective
use of contract resources.
- Provided development tools and technical
training that improved the capabilities of the software Development
and Quality Assurance organizations.
Director Canadian Development, Vancouver
British Columbia 1998 – 2001
Working as an Ex-patriot, managed the Application
Development Organization (fat client) for ADP’s Canadian
products consisting of two remote development groups (Montreal
and Vancouver) with business centered in Toronto.
- Implemented a Canadian Development Process
resulting in delivering 2 products to market within first
year. Over 200 sites installed with GP of $20K each.
- Established strong working relationships
with other departments within ADP Canada. Resulting teamwork
produced an installable, supportable and maintainable
Director Systems Development, Portland OR
1992 – 1998
Recruited to develop the Systems Engineering
Organization for UNIX based products. Led the definition of
platform architecture as well as definition of ADP system services
(printing, port management, backup/restore, user management,
- Drove the transition of the organization
from a ‘react and respond’ culture to one of
being a ‘requirements driven’ organization
providing a high quality product with a predictable development
- Augmented the skill set of System
Software Engineers through technical training, quality
objectives and attrition. Hired new people (managers, engineers,
writers) with appropriate skills to meet future objectives.
Sequent Computer Systems, Beaverton,
Software Integration Lead 1990
Defined, created, and organized a Software
Integration team to verify cohabitation and integration of
various Sequent layered software products ensuring that a wide
variety of 3rd party products cooperatively supported the business
Tektronix Inc., Wilsonville, OR
Manager Systems Integration and
Operating Systems Development 1986 – 1992
Managed the operating system development and
system integration of Tek’s M88K graphic workstation
products. Responsible for UNIX OS port to the M88K architecture
integration of layered product components.
Senior System SW Engineer 1981 – 1986
Enhanced and maintained Tektronix’ modified
version of Berkeley UNIX (V4.1, V4.2, V4.3).
Developed applications and software tools necessary to support UNIX Support
Group’s internal customer base including a defect tracking system, SW
distribution system, device
drivers and kernel performance enhancements, etc..